19. Helain et al.Â 2011, ‘Characteristics associated with severe perineal and cervical lacerations during vaginal delivery’,Â Obstetrics and GynecologyÂ , vol.Â 117, no.Â 3, pp. 627-635.
20. Hillebrenner, J, Wagenpfeil, S, Schuchardt, R, Schelling, M & Schneider, T 2000, ‘First clinical experiences with the new birth trainer Epi-noÂ® in primiparous women’, Z Geburtsh Neonatol, vol.Â 204, pp. 1â€“8.
21. Kovacs, G, Heath, P, Heather, C 2004 ‘First Australian trial of the birth-training device Epi-No: a highly significantly increased chance of an intact perineum’, The Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, vol.Â 44, pp. 347â€“348.
22. Lindgren, HE, Brink, A & Klinberg-Allvin, M 2011, ‘Fear causes tears â€“ perineal injuries in home birth settings.Â A Swedish interview study,Â BMC Pregnancy and ChildbirthÂ , vol.Â 11, no.Â 6:Â http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/11/6
23. Lydon-Rochelle, M, Albers, L & Teaf, D 1995, ‘Perineal outcomes and nurse-midwifery management’,Â Journal of Nurse MidwiferyÂ , vol.Â 40, no.Â 1, pp. 13-8.
24. Mayerhofer, K, Bodner-Adler, B, Bodner, K, Rabl, M, Kaider, A, Wagenbichler, P, Journa, EA & Husslein, P 2002, ‘Traditional care of the perineum during birth: A prospective, randomized, multicenter study of 1076 women’,Â Journal of Reproductive MedicineÂ , vol.47, no.Â 6, pp. 477-82.
25. Murphy, PA & Feinland, JB 1998, ‘Perineal outcomes in a home birth setting’,Â BirthÂ , vol.25, no.Â 4, pp. 226-34.
26. Nodine, P & Roberts, J 1987, ‘Factors associated with perineal outcome during childbirth’,Journal of Nurse MidwiferyÂ , vol.Â 32, pp. 123-30.
27. Sampselle, CM & Hines, S 1999, ‘Spontaneous pushing during birth: relationship to perineal outcomes’,Â Journal of Nurse-MidwiferyÂ , vol.Â 44, no.Â 1, pp. 36-9.
28. Schaffer, JI, Bloom, SL, Casey, BM, McIntire, DD, Nihira, MA & Leveno, KJ 2005a, ‘A randomized trial of the effects of coached vs uncoached maternal pushing during the second stage of labour on postpartum pelvic floor structure and function’,Â American Journal of Obstetrics and GynecologyÂ , vol.Â 192, pp. 1692-6
29. Shorten, A, Donsante, J & Shorten, B 2002, ‘Birth position, accoucheur, and perineal outcome: informing women about choices for vaginal birth’,Â BirthÂ , vol.Â 29, no.Â 1, pp. 18-27.